Sunday, April 29, 2012

...Island Lake fatbike loop

THE ROUTE: Basecamp to Island Lake Road, to Pipeline Road, to Holt-Lamplight Road, to Kenai Spur Hwy bike path, to Island Lake Road back to Basecamp.
TERRAIN: Pavement, gravel, bottomless mud.
DISTANCE: 11.5 miles

This map displays the fatbike ride from yesterday and today. The mapping program I use can combine them with the press of a button. I like that a lot. It also shows how many lakes there are within just a few miles of my house. I like that, too.

At the intersection of Kenai Spur Hwy and Holt-Lamplight Road.

About to ride a segment of the Nikiski Bike Path.

Almost home....
I was on the bike by 5:30 this morning.  I planned to ride down the Pipeline to Holt-Lamplight Road and then follow the Nikiski bike path to Island Lake road and back home.  Everything went swimmingly with the exception of three-quarters-of-a-mile of bottomless mud about mid-way down the Pipeline.  I pushed the bike most of that distance and was covered in muck by the time I got to Holt-Lamplight.  After riding a mile or so on the pavement the mud had mostly been flung off the bike tires and disc brakes.  Things were back to normal.  I cruised down the bike path to Island Lake Road and I was back in my driveway at 7:19 AM.  Gabby was waiting for me and I was glad I'd gone on...another early morning fatbike ride.

No comments: