Sunday, June 19, 2011

...early morning on Thetis Lake

THE ROUTE: Kayak circumnavigation of Thetis Lake (red track on lake beside Island Lake on the map).
DISTANCE: 1.23 miles
TIME: 36 minutes

Kestrel and some Thetis Lake vegetation.


Kestrel waiting stern ashore.


Poised for the circumnavigation of Thetis Lake.


The image of a Kestrel on the bow of the kayak. Hence, the name Kestrel.


Self-portrait at the Thetis Lake access sign.



I woke up early this morning. Okay, nothing new there. So, after sitting around for a while and waiting for the newspaper to arrive I decided I should do something a little more constructive. I had thought of taking Kestrel to Thetis Lake more than once, but it is so close to where I live that I decided I could use it as a filler--a lake that wouldn't take much time to get to or circumnavigate. Today would be as good as any, I thought, so I loaded up the gear and took the short drive to the parking lot. I arrived just as it started to rain.

I considered taking the short drive back home, and as I sat there thinking, the rain stopped. I quickly plopped Kestral in with a splash and we were off to encircle Thetis Lake according to the plan. Things went swell. In 36 minutes we were back at the put-in and I loaded up just as the rain started again. Perfect timing and a perfect...early morning on Thetis Lake.

No comments: