Saturday, June 18, 2011

...the lakes are waiting

THE ROUTE: Circumnavigation of Tirmore Lake.
DISTANCE: 1.33 miles.
TIME: 42 minutes.

Kestrel and a partially submerged tree on Tirmore Lake.


Self-portrait on Tirmore Lake.


Self-portrait at the Tirmore Lake public access sign on Holt-Lamplight Road.


Tirmore Lake is, for lack of a better word, tiny. It does have a public access point and there are several homes built on its edge, but it's only 1.33 miles around its perimeter, which makes for a quick paddle. Even at a leisurely pace. I did see a pair of loons nesting on the lake and several other types of water birds. The water depth around the edge of the lake is shallow, just several inches deep in many places, although I think it gets much deeper toward the middle. It is also a lake that is stocked with fish by the ADF&G. It was on my list of 23 lakes to circumnavigate in Kestrel this summer.


I'm not doing so well with my list. So far, I have only completed the circumnavigation of three of them: Island, Stormy, and Tirmore. I need to get in gear because time is passing and...the lakes are waiting.

4 comments:

doug said...

Did Daniel's Lake make the list?

Wally said...

Hi Doug,

Yes, it certainly did...near the top of the list in fact. But, it's a big lake to circumnavigate in a kayak (I think at least 8+ miles?). It will probably take about 4 hours to go around it. Also, I don't know about public access (that's the case with a number of lakes on my list--have had to do some covert kayaking). I have only done a few lakes so far, but it's amazing that they all have their own personalities. And, I think it makes a difference if there is public access or not in how much trash is in the water and along the edges. I found a hot water heater floating in Thetis Lake yesterday along with lots of beer/soda cans and food/candy wrappers. Lakes without public access are much cleaner from what I can tell. There are also some amazing lake front houses complete with huge docks, boats, floatplanes, and such. I wouldn't have noticed all of that from passing by on the road. I've also had some great conversations with people who live along the lake edges. Yesterday I talked with a guy for 20 minutes about his property, how he obtained it,what he had done since he moved to it, and where he liked to fish in the lake. Come to find out he was a former student of mine over two decades ago! It's turned out to be much more than just a kayaking project for sure. Funny how that is, eh?

Wally

doug said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! As far as lake access at Daniels you can use ours. There is a small place to pull out your vehicle down by the dock, or you can put in, park up by our greenhouse and walk back down if you prefer. Let me know if you need directions. I really love going out in the power boat, on the paddle boat or in the canoes. I haven't tried out a kayak yet but they look fun and fast. I always love reading of your trips and seeing your pictures! Let me know if you want some company fishing sometime.

Doug

Wally said...

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the offer of access to Daniel's Lake. I will take you up on it! Also, I have an extra kayak if you want to try it out when I go? Let me know when you would be able to go and we can coordinate a time. Fishing is stil on the itinerary, too. Probably sometime toward the end of July?

Wally