Saturday, January 31, 2009

...watching the Tustumena 200




The big sled dog race began this morning in Clam Gulch. There were lots of dogs, mushers, and fans braving below zero temperatures at the start of the race, but the sky was crystal clear and everyone was anxious for things to begin. At 11:00 AM the first team left the gate and the race was underway. Team after team passed as we watched from the edge of the road and sometimes in the heat of the car. It was a fun way to spend a January day...watching the Tustumena 200.

3 comments:

DougE said...

It takes a true Alaskan to combine the words fun and below zero in the same sentence. Great pics. We've enjoying your crystal clear skys as well, but its in the mid 60's all week. We're supposed to get about 61 inches of snow in the Denver metro(annual average) but have only got about 16 so far. Gonna be a snowy March here I assume.
In the mean time, here comes the sun, and I say it's alright.

By the way, got here from a link on your Delicious page.
Tah Mon Ami.

doug said...

I like the shadows in the pictures, I think I was able to get some of the same effect on the few pictures I was able to get. It was the first chance that I had to have some fun with my new lens. Good luck taking pictures up at the Iditarod if you make it up there.

Wally said...

Hi DougE and Doug,

Thanks for the comments! I certainly had a great time photographing the sled dogs as they zipped by me. I'm looking forward to the Iditarod, too!

Wally