Tuesday, June 2, 2009

...two small bears

A brown bear.
A bear hug.
I've had a big morning. Up and in the truck by 4:00 AM. A quick drive to the Kenai City Boat Dock where the gulls were active but not much else. Then it was off to Capt Cook State Park. When I neared the bridge crossing the Swanson River I saw the cubs in the grass about 75 yards away. I watched them for the next two hours from the driver's seat of my truck as they moved closer to the bridge, which was my viewing platform. I texted Mrs. Hufford on my cell phone and she brought the girls out for the show. Only four other vehicles went by all morning and just two of them stopped to look at the bears. One car was loaded with several men from North Dakota. They had been fishing for halibut with great success and they were elated to see the bears on their last day here in Alaska. They will have some great Alaska stories to tell when they get home.
The commotion was minimal and the bears didn't seem the least bit fazed by any of it. They would eat a while, sleep a while, and wrestle a while. Then eat a while, sleep a while, and wrestle a while. It was the pattern of the morning for...two small bears.
**I took lots of photos. I mean lots of photos! I can't post them here all at once, so I will try to put new pictures here over the next few days. Check back regularly if you are interested.

No comments: