Wednesday, June 3, 2009

...the bear chronicles

A thirsty brown bear cub.
Peekaboo!
Here are two more photos from yesterday's bear viewing from the bridge over the Swanson River in Capt State Park. Evidently one of the cubs was thirsty so it went to the river for a drink. The other cub was asleep. After a few minutes it awoke and noticed its sibling was missing. It abruptly walked to a shallow ravine and disappeared from view. A few seconds later it stuck its head out of the other end of the ravine as if to say--peekaboo!
If you happened to see the KTUU news last night you may have noticed the photo of the 'bear hug' was featured during the weather forecast. I sent it in to the TV station at Mrs. Hufford's suggestion and two hours later Jackie Purcell was talking about it on the news!
As I mentioned previously I have tons of bear cub photos from yesterday. Check back tomorrow for the next installment of...the bear chronicles.

2 comments:

DougE said...

Bear finding celebrity extraordinaire. Did Jackie Purcell actually say your name??? Now I have my own brush with fame.
Great shots Wally. You have really outdone yourself with the goal of finding bear this year. Good luck with baby moose shots.

Wally said...

Hi Doug,

Yep, Jackie mentioned my name--it was even printed on the TV screen!

Still can't find a baby moose to take a photo of. I've seen plenty of them but they scurry into the woods before I can get the camera gear ready. Yesterday I saw nine cows/calves and two small bulls. This morning I didn't see a single moose. I'll keep at it. Hopefully they won't be fully grown before I get a pictue of them!

Wally