Saturday, May 2, 2009

...in search of bear




Okay. I know. Theses are not pictures of a bear. Not even close. But, they were the best I could do this morning.
And, what, you might ask, is wrong with a moose and a swan? Nothing. They are worthy in their own ways. But, I was looking for a bear. Other people have seen them and the vegetation is still sparse so it's easy to see into the woods where they might be. Perfect bear sighting conditions.
So, I wake up early. Get into my truck. Turn the key. And go for a drive. All the way to Captain Cook State Park.
Along the way I spot a varied thrush, a spruce grouse, and even a robin (first of the year). It's a good morning already. Then I pull into the boat ramp at Stormy Lake and things get better. There's a swan floating in the open water about 35 yards from the parking lot. I don't even get out of the driver's seat to take photos. A right cooperative swan for certain. But, it's not a bear.
Continuing my tour I make my way to the campground gate which is still padlocked shut forcing campers to set up makeshift campsites in the parking area. Three tents shelter sleeping occupants. I recognize the vehicles. I know the campers and wonder if I should wake them to ask if they have seen any bears. Probably not. It's not even 6:00 AM. I press the accelerator and away I go.
Back on the road I spy a yearling moose biting at the dried grass in the ditch. Clearly worn from the long winter this moose is waiting for the succulent willow twigs which are bursting forth with each passing day. Things are looking better. But, this moose is not a bear and the morning is passing.
Then my cell phone rings. It's my oldest daughter. She's awake and wants me to pick up some beef jerky at the store on my way home. It's time for me to go. And, still no bear.
That's okay. If this summer is like the rest we will see plenty of them. Probably 15-20 of them. Mostly they will be far off in the distance, or shuffling down the edge of the road, or climbing a tree. Some of them will be eating salmon on the edge of a river and others will be scurrying to get away from us as quickly as possible. One of them might even lean against the side of our camper and give it a good rocking in the middle of the night, like last year at Williwaw campground.
No rush. There's plenty of time and plenty of bears. It will happen if I get out there and keep my eyes open. I'm just anxious to see the first one of the season. So I'll keep at it. For now, I remain...in search of bear.

No comments: