Thursday, May 21, 2009

...bear!




My daughter and I took a drive out to Captain Cook State Park this evening in hopes of seeing a bear or a baby moose. We were very lucky! As we crossed the bridge over the Swanson River we saw two brown bear along the edge of the water. We got out for pictures in the fading light (it was after 11:00 PM) and snapped away as the Jackson family pulled up behind us. We all watched the bears as they grazed their way down the river. I am assuming they are the cubs that were hanging around the same area last year. They are the first bears I've seen this summer. I'm glad to see they survived the winter and even happier that I have finally seen the season's first...bear!


5 comments:

The Boehme Family said...

YAY for no more "in search of!" I am glad to see the cubs survived the winter. I have worried about them a time or two.

Wally said...

Hi Boehme Family,

Happy summer! Yep, I was thrilled to see these bears. I hope they can stay out of trouble as they weren't too far from the campground.

How was the camping at Skilak? Any wildlife?

Have you seen any baby moose yet? I'm still searching.

Wally

The Boehme Family said...

Doug enjoyed his camping, but was eaten by mosquitoes. He looks like he has chicken pocks. No wildlife, unfortunately. We haven't seen any baby moose, just our friend we named Morris who seems to live in our neighborhood. Did you see the baby moose in the campground?

Wally said...

Hi Boehme Family,

I saw Doug at the store this afternoon. He told me about the bugs. They certainly can be tenacious little things! And,
I would have given anything to see him in the tree stand with his camera!

I didn't see the baby moose in the campground. Just heard all the wild stories from campers as it was happening. We saw the mother a number of times and she was frantic. She was charging the bears, campers, and even a motorcycle rider. The troopers were called in to take care of things. I drove my daughters out there again this evening and everything was calm and peaceful, like nothing happened. I really hope the bears move on because they can only get into trouble hanging around campgrounds.

I'm still waiting to see a baby moose. I've been going out in the morning and evenings so it won't be long!

Wally

Doug Emmerich said...

Congrats Mon Ami,
To the patient come the bears. And you even know them, so much the better to reestablish ties with old friends.
Doug