Friday, May 15, 2009

...first caribou




Look closely at these photos (or enlarge them on your computer) and you will see the first caribou I have spotted this spring. They were on Marathon Road just north of Kenai at 8:00 this evening. The only camera I had with me was on my cell phone. Yes, I'm kicking myself for not taking a better camera. They were probably ten feet away from me at times and would have been very photogenic with a more powerful lens. I'll try not to make that mistake again. But, for now I'm just happy I've seen the...first caribou.


4 comments:

doug said...

That's pretty neat. I haven't seen one around here yet (except at Santa's Workshop at North Pole). I'm looking forward to it.

Wally said...

Hi Doug,

Yeah, it was fun watching these 'bou. At one point they were so close to the truck I could see their eyelashes...and my good camera was at home in my closet. Bummer.

Still looking for the first bear. May have to drive out to Skilak Loop Road. Always a good chance of spotting one out there.

Wally

doug said...

I'm hunting for bear tomorrow night after work. Hopefully my camera shoots true. And then I'll be camping at Skilak on Friday with the Boy Scouts. I'll keep you posted if I see anything.

Wally said...

Good luck Doug! Skilak is a great place for camping and photos!

Wally