Friday, May 13, 2011

...first kayak of the season

I had to paddle through some ice to reach open water.
Made it...onward!

It's good to be kayaking on a Friday evening.

Loons and other water birds near the shore.

I kayaked past more ice on my way back home.




The ice on the lake went out yesterday. Well, most of it did. So when I got home this evening I knew it was time to take the kayak out for the first paddle of the season. I had to make my way through a short segment of ice remnants near the shore but I was in open water in no time. The wind was blowing steady and there were some good gusts but nothing unmanageable. I paddled to the boat ramp and then to the back side of the island where the loons and other water birds were sitting out of the wind. They were wary of my presence and I didn't want to stress them out so I paddled back into the wind and across the open water to a small cove. I made a quick paddle around it and headed for home. Ice, open water, loons, and sunshine. It was a great...first kayak of the season.






No comments: