Sunday, October 12, 2008

...weather Montana style

A leaf hints of Fall in 80 degree weather

A warm view of the Billings rimrock


My sister's outdoor grill

The view on Saturday morning


Those of you who read this blog on a regular basis already know I was in Montana for a family medical emergency for the past couple of weeks. I won't go into the details here as you most likely know the story. I will, however, focus on the extreme weather conditions I encountered while I was there.
It all started with temperatures above 80 degrees and ended with a raging Montana blizzard. Every bit of it within a ten day period.
Life in the Rockies, eh?
When I landed at Logan International Airport in the middle of the night on October 1st I could feel the warm air and knew I had made the correct clothing choice when I was packing for the trip. But, when I left yesterday I tromped through the snow after parking my rental car and shivered toward the terminal.
In a way it was a good thing because it got me thinking about winter here in Alaska. Maybe the weather man was preparing me what I have to look forward to for the next six months. You know, setting my mind right for the promise of what's to come and all. But, I think I'm ready. I got some new boots at Sportsman's Warehouse. Tough boots. Boots for the weather. I'm prepared for anything, even...weather Montana style.

2 comments:

DougE said...

Life in the Rockies is truly unpredictable. My mother in law was down from Alaska for that same time and made the same wardrobe mistake. The only think you say for sure is it will change. Hope your visit down was a good one. Look forward to your next post. I've added your blog to my delicious page. Hope it widens your readership.

Wally said...

Hey Doug,

What the heck is a delicious page?

Wally