Sunday, May 27, 2012

...Northwoods fatbike loop

THE ROUTE:  Bishop Creek parking area>Kenai Spur Hwy>Jeep Trail>pipeline>Northwoods St>Kenai Spur Hwy back to parking area.
TERRAIN:  Pavement, four-wheeler trail, grass, mud, hard pack.
DISTANCE:  4.1 miles

A muddy four-wheeler path.

Fatbike and pipeline sign.

The fatbike rolls up to the edge of Bishop Creek.  There is a pipeline marker on the other side of the creek.

Looking back down the pipeline toward Bishop Creek.

Trying not to look suspicious.

The fatbike at the intersection of Northwoods Street and the Kenai Spur Hwy.
I thought this would be an easy loop ride on an early Saturday morning.  Out, around, and back.  No muss.  No fuss.  And, it was.  Until I got to Bishop Creek.

As I rode up to the edge of the creek I was thinking I would have to abandon any thoughts of making this ride a loop.  I thought I would have to turn around and backtrack my route back to the truck. I thought the creek was simply too wide and deep with a soft, muddy bottom that I would sink into if I tried to cross. 

So I stood at the edge of the water for awhile and looked things over.  Just taking it all in before I went back.  Then I walked downstream a ways and that's when I saw what appeared a mound of gravel in the middle of the creek.  Perfect!  The water seemed shallow enough and the gravel would make the bottom firm enough that I could cross the creek.

I went and got the fatbike, put it on my shoulder and waded into the current--which turned out to be forceful.  But I was committed to the crossing so I regained my balance and went farther into the stream which was getting deeper and deeper.  Soon it was above my knees and that's when I remembered my cell phone was in my pocket which the water line was closing in on. My hands were full with the bike so I couldn't do anything but lift my shoulders hoping that would in turn elevate the waist of my pants enough to keep my phone from getting soaked.  I also stood on my tip-toes.  So there I was in middle of Bishop Creek stretched out as much as I could be stretched out, walking on my toes with a fatbike on my shoulder in a current that would send me downstream if I made one mis-step.

And, I have to admit, it was fun.

When I got close to the bank on the other side I tossed the bike ashore and waded out of the water.  I immediately pulled my cell phone out and was relieved to find it totally dry.  All good.  I hopped on the bike and pedalled the remainder of the pipeline to Northwoods Street and back to the truck.  Before I knew it, I was happily back home telling Mr. Huffy about my stream crossing adventure on the...Northwoods fatbike loop.

No comments: