Sunday, May 13, 2012

...Forelands fatbike loop

THE ROUTE: start at the Nikiski Mall parking lot>Nikshka Beach Road>beach access at Arness Dock>beach riding to exit road>bike path back to Nikiski Mall.
TERRAIN: pavement, beach sand/gravel/rocks, dirt road, bike path.
DISTANCE: 10.7 miles

Go left or go right.  Just don't go straight.  You'll end up in the inlet if you do.  That's Arness dock in the background.

The view from the handlebars looking down Cook Inlet to the south.

Self-portrait at low tide, 6:00 AM.

Fatbike track in the sand.

Oil platform in Cook Inlet.
Rockin' it on the beach near the Forelands.

A set netters bungalow with a fatbike posing in the gravel in front of it.
Ha!  Fatbikes can go here, too.
Following the Nikiski Bike Path back to the truck which was parked at the Nikiski Mall.

Low tide was at exactly 6:00 AM.  That would be a good time to be on the beach for approximately 5.5 miles of fatbiking.  So, I was out of the house early and unloading my bike at the Nikiski Mall parking lot by 5:30 AM.  I rode down to Arness dock where I talked with the security guard at the dock gate for a few minutes.  He said he had never seen a cyclist ride down the beach before and wished me luck as I pedaled toward the south.

The going was easy and I enjoyed looking at the set netters fishing bungalows as I passed them by.  There was also lots of pipe and related metal pieces strewn around, most of it filled with sand and rocks.  I kept hoping for a glimpse of belugas or a seal, but didn't have any luck.

Before long I saw the exit road and I hiked-a-bike up a steep incline to a parking area where I took a photo with some signs.  Then it was time to cruise back to the truck along the Nikiski Bike Path.  I was home by 8:10 AM, happy with thoughts of the...Forelands fatbike loop.

No comments: