Saturday, May 12, 2012

...Jeep Trail fatbike loop


THE ROUTE:  Start at parking area at end of pavement on Halbouty Road>follow pipeline to small bridge, hang a left>pipeline to left on Jeep Trail>Kenai Spur Hwy>Halbouty Road back to parking area.
TERRAIN:  dirt, mud, hills, hard pack, sand, pavement.
DISTANCE:  12.1 miles

Small bridge over the stream that drains Daniels Lake.  Hang a left just after the bridge.  Halbouty Hill is straight ahead in the photo.

Observation platform at the top of a hill.

Early morning self-portrait at a lake without a name.

Logs were used to stabilize the wet muddy areas of the trail so four-wheelers could get past.

Stream crossing.
Almost back to the truck.
One shoe got very muddy.

It was another early Saturday morning...4:00 AM early.  I threw everything in a backpack and loaded the fatbike in the back of the truck and drove to the end of the pavement at Halbouty.  I readied the GPS and tucked everything away before pedaling toward the small bridge that crosses the stream that drains Daniels Lake.  I took a photo and crossed the bridge where I took a left and started the first of many hike-a-bikes of the morning up a long steep hill.  Once at the top there was a tremendous view and someone has built an observation platform in  some trees to take it all in.  You can see for miles in all directions. 

I hopped back on the bike an squeezed the brakes for a downhill trip toward some major mud pits.  I would find out there were many of them.  I cruised past a couple lakes and rode over some rolling hills for about 4.5 miles before I turned off the pipeline onto what many area maps label the 'Jeep Trail.'  It was short but filled with lots of mud  and brush.  Before I knew it I was on the pavement of the Kenai Spur Hwy making my way back to Halbouty.  It took about 50 minutes to cover this segment of the trip which included stops for pictures.

I was back home by 8:30 AM, just in time to go to the North Peninsula Recreation Center and register for the Nikiski Community Clean-Up.  So, as we picked up the remnants of winter I told the Hufford girls about my adventure on the...Jeep Trail fatbike loop.

2 comments:

The Boehme Family said...

Doug and I have wanted to do that trail for a while. As I told you, we attempted it, but had to turn around. You've inspired me to try again.

Wally said...

Hey Erin,

This is a great loop! I realy want to ride it again in the fall when all the leaves are changing. Also, there is a little side trail that goes through the woods for a mile or so and ends at an un-named lake. That will be a future project for sure.

Wally