Monday, December 24, 2012

...Global Fatbike Day

THE ROUTE:  Start at Stormy Lake boat ramp/ride across Stormy Lake to swim beach/push bike up to Kenai Spur Highway/ride highway back to Stormy Lake boat ramp.

About to ride across Stormy Lake.  (photo courtesy of Mrs. Huffy)

Mrs. Huffy was on her skis for part of the adventure.

The fatbike takes a break while crossing stormy Lake.

Pedaling across Stormy Lake.  (photo courtesy of Mrs. Huffy)

The official declaration.

When I heard there was going to be an official Global Fatbike Day, I knew I would have to come up with plans for a unique adventure.  Since one of my favorite nearby outdoor places is Stormy Lake, I quickly hatched the idea of riding a loop which included: crossing the lake/riding up the road that goes to the swim beach/then pedaling back down the Kenai Spur Highway to the boat ramp.

The weather was beautiful, albeit cold, when I started across the ice.  It really didn't take long (about 40 minutes) before I was at the swim beach stairs where I shouldered the fatbike and carried it up to the parking lot.  I tried riding up the road but the snow was too deep so I pushed the bike to the highway.  From there it was a pleasant cruise to the boat ramp.

And, that was it.  Mrs. Huffy and I loaded our gear back into the truck and drove home.  On our way we were already making plans for the next...Global Fatbike Day.

No comments: