Friday, June 8, 2012

...let's go to Montana!

Ready to hit the open road!

We had to find places to put all this food.


The last time I drove the Alaska Highway was 26 years ago.  I was just out of graduate school and about to begin living my North to the Future dream.

Early one morning my dad and I left Riverton, Wyoming, and drove pretty much straight through until we landed in Nikiski five days later.  We didn't stop for much except fuel.  About all I remember were miles and miles of incredibly beautiful landscapes with a few roadside wild animal sightings sprinkled in here and there.

I've always wanted to repeat that trip at a slower pace.  You know, the whole 'the journey is the destination' thing.  So I decided this summer would be as good as any.  But this trip won't be about getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible.

This trip will be different.  This trip I will be traveling with the Hufford girls in an RV.  We will be taking our time to relish what is one of the greatest road trips I can imagine.  We're going to stop frequently to see what we can see along the way, including small towns, historical sites, scenic vistas and national parks.  We're going to visit with fellow travelers, friends, and family.  We're going to do some hiking and biking.  We're going to take photographs.  We're probably going to get lost a few times.  We're probably going to get on each others nerves.  But, in the end it will all be good.  We will talk about this trip for the rest of our lives.  In the fondest terms.  I hope.

Meanwhile, you, dear reader, can follow all our adventures here at BASECAMP NIKISKI.  I will be updating this blog as often as I am able and I'm certain there will be plenty to write about.  Of course, entries may be sporadic due to limited Internet access, motivation, technical difficulties, and so on.  So check back frequently and I will try to keep things as current as possible.  Which will be really cool.  Because the last time I drove the Alaska Highway I had never heard the words 'Internet, 'blog,' 'laptop,' or 'cell phone.'

As for the itinerary.  The trip is shaping up something like this:

The first segment of our journey involves driving the Alaska Highway from Nikiski to Billings, Montana, where we will spend several days visiting my sister, brother-in-law, niece, cousins, and former Alaskan friends.  Along the way we plan to stop for a couple of hikes and bike rides in Banff and Glacier National Parks.

Then we will drive to California where we will visit Mrs. Huffy's parents.  Plans include a trip to San Francisco and a sunny California beach.  There will also be more hiking and biking.

From there we will drive north through the redwoods, along the Oregon coast and up to Vancouver, British Columbia, before reconnecting with the Alaska Highway and driving back to Nikiski in time for dipnetting. 

There you have it.

So, enough dreaming, talking, and planning.  Let's get this show on the road.  Let's get this adventure moving...let's go to Montana!

No comments: