Saturday, July 30, 2011

...the last two weeks of July

I have been doing some fishing the past couple of weeks.
A map of the lakes I circumnavigated this morning.
Self-portrait post circumnavigation of Kelly and Peterson Lakes.
Kestrel at the Peterson Lake put-in.
Self-portrait post circumnavigation of Watson Lake.
Some very tall vegetation growing in Watson Lake.
The beaver lodge at the far end of Watson Lake.
Kestrel making way on Watson Lake.
The last two weeks of July are also extremely hectic on the Kenai Peninsula.  It is the peak of fishing season and everyone is out chasing salmon for all they are worth.  I have been doing a generous amount of fishing, but decided to take a day off as it is Saturday and crowds of people are storming the river.  So I thought it would be a good time to circumnavigate several lakes in my kayak.  Watson, Kelly, and Peterson Lakes are all close in proximity and none of them are very large.  It was easy to do them all in a morning. 

I would have to say that Watson Lake is the most interesting as it is very shallow and over the years it has become filled with vegetation.  Some of it was too heavy for me to paddle Kestrel through and I had to turn around more than once to find passage.  I found a beaver lodge at the far end of the lake and the owner swam near me slapping his tail loudly on the surface of the water several times.  I don't think he appreciated my presence very much. 

I had intended to circumnavigate Bottenintnin Lake as well.  But,it was 74 degrees at noon and I didn't want to leave Gabby in her kennel during that kind of heat while she waited for me to paddle around the lake.  So, I won't be able to cross that lake off the list until another day.  All in all, it was a good way to spend the day during...the last two weeks of July.

No comments: